[Site Home]

918-338-4282 | 401 S. Johnstone
Home Home Contact Us Contact Us

Bill Doenges Memorial Park Stadium

115 E. Hensley Boulevard

The City of Bartlesville Doenges Memorial Stadium will host the 2013 AABC (American Amateur Baseball Congress) Sandy Koufax World Series Tournament on August 1, 2, 3, and 4.  The tournament will host eight 14-and-under baseball teams from as far away as Puerto Rico, including one local team, all vying for the division's top title.  Make plans to come out to the historic Bill Doenges memorial Stadium in Downtown Bartlesville to enjoy some of the best that amateur youth baseball has to offer.  A $25.00 session pass for all fourteen games can be purchased online here.  Children six and under are admitted free.  The tournament begins on Thursday, August 1, at 12:00 noon and completes with the final game on Sunday afternoon, August 4.


Baseball seems to have been the first outdoor sport indulged in by the pioneers of early-day Bartlesville. The first baseball team that is on record in Bartlesville was a team organized during 1895. During 1905 or 1906, Bartlesville baseball fans tried to establish the game and laid out a diamond just east of the North Johnstone Avenue Race Track. Games were played there until about 1908. During 1909 a new baseball park was located on North Dewey Avenue, east of the railroad tracks. The park had a wood fence and a wooden grandstand was built and used until 1931. This park was known as the Bartlesville Ball Park.

On May 2, 1932, Municipal Stadium was dedicated Contractor James H. Hamilton built the stadium and concrete fence. The grandstand seated approximately 2,000 people and the total cost was $40,000. Through a joint venture of the American Legion Baseball program and the City of Bartlesville, a new indoor batting tunnel was added to the facilities. A great deal of construction work was donated by Doenges Injuns and United Linen Braves parents.

A second new addition to the facilities included new home and visitor dugouts. The construction was made possible by an anonymous donor in 1987. Construction was done by Robert Lee Construction of Dewey.

Improvements in 1998 included a warning track, removal of the first row of box seats to allow for more plays behind home plate, construction of a new press box, a concession stand, improved restroom facilities, and a new scoreboard donated by Phillips Petroleum Company and Great Plains Coca-Cola.

As a result of funds raised by the Stadium Renovation Committee, things really began happening in the 1990's. New seating was installed, which included 510 'chair-back legend seats' and wide-back aluminum benches which seats 999. The playing field was regraded in 1999 and more than 100 loads of dirt were hauled off ; the field was re-engineered for positive drainage. The entire playing field is now irrigated with a  professional sports field sprinkler system. The sod is U3 Bermuda hybrid bred specifically for sports fields and the infield dirt is a 70/30 mixture of Oklahoma red dirt and 'chandler' material to keep the dirt from blowing. New sunken dugouts have been installed to meet the American Legion World Series specifications. 'Television-quality' lighting has been installed for media coverage. Five large circulation fans have been installed under the grandstand to provide relief from the Oklahoma heat.

The demolition of the Henshall Auto Parts Building located in front of the stadium provided room for expanded parking, and landscaping enhanced the grand old structure that is now well preserved for the 21st century.

Over $400,000 has been spent on the face lift of the stadium. Many members of the Bartlesville community have donated time and money to see this project materialize.


To schedule or lease the field, please contact Bobby Robinson, Stadium Coordinator/Master Scheduler, at 918-338-4154.